More than 75 years ago, an action by the Congress of the United States led to one of the mostenlightened initiatives undertaken by this country in its relations with the other nations of the world.
In September 1945, the freshman senator from Arkansas, J. William Fulbright, introduced a bill in the U.S. Congress that called for the use of proceeds from the sales of surplus war property to fund the “promotion of international good will through the exchange of students in the fields of education, culture and science.”
On August 1, 1946, legislation best known as the Fulbright Act was passed and signed by President Harry S. Truman into law.
The bill was adopted in the closing days of the last session of the 79th Congress. Few people in 1946 perceived the potential of this program or foresaw the achievements that were to result.
For 75 years, the Fulbright Program has given hundreds of thousands of passionate and accomplished students, scholars, artists, and professionals of all backgrounds and fields the opportunity to study, teach and conduct research, exchange ideas, and contribute to finding solutions to complex global challenges.